It’s been hot here in California and I’ve been super busy, so the first recipes I tried from our September VegCookbook, Vegan Indian Cooking, were smoothies.
Green Juice Smoothie
I love the spice of ginger in a smoothie, so this one was up my alley. I don’t have a Vitamix, so I chopped up the apple, carrot, cucumber and ginger before adding them to my blender and they pureed up nicely. I also squeezed the orange and lime, rather than add them in pieces, like you can with a Vitamix. I didn’t add ice. I don’t like icy drinks.
I liked this one too, although the Green Juice Smoothie had a more unique flavor. My grocery store doesn’t carry bitter melon, so I used spinach instead. I didn’t soak the almonds overnight, ’cause I wanted to make the smoothie the day I got the ingredients, so they didn’t blend up very well in my blender. I’d hit a big nut chunk every once in awhile.
I have some almonds soaking right now to make the Red Velvet Smoothie tonight. Hopefully, they’ll blend up better.
VegCookbook Club Story Swap
Because we’re finishing one month and starting another, folks cooked from both VegCookbooks:
Betty Goes Vegan (August VegCookbook)
- Diana of Veggie Next Door made the Spicy Peanut Sauce Tofu Wrap
- Elisa Camahort Page of Veggie Goes Vegan made the Vegan Shrimp Scampi and the Hungarian Goulash
- Elizabeth Thompson made the Brown Sugar Pumpkin Cookies with Maple Frosting
- Happy Vegan Kitchen made the Moroccan Spice Wrap
- Kelley of Eatin’ Vegan in Smalltown USA made the Minestrone and the Cheezburger Pie
Vegan Indian Cooking (September VegCookbook)
- Elizabeth Thompson made the Seitan Mulligatawny
- evesfca made the Chickpea Poppers and is soaking lentils for Mom’s Mung Sprout Salad
What have you been VegCooking?