“I never knew that Instagram could be a community. But what I discovered last week was a group of people all cooking out of one vegan cookbook author’s recipes, sharing their photos, tips and reviews on Instagram.”
~ Healthy Girl’s Kitchen
Happy New Year and a big welcome to all of the new VegCookbook Club members. Seems like a lot of new folks have joined us this month, in part because of a blog post by Wendy of Healthy Girl’s Kitchen (Thanks for the post, Wendy, and thanks, Eve, for introducing Wendy to the VCBC!).
Let’s jump right into the VegCookbook Club Story Swap! Feel free to let me know if you see any boo-boos in recipe names, which VegCoobook they come from, etc. It’s fun to have everyone cooking from so many cookbooks, but it’s hard to track it all!
- Amy made the Black Bean Brownies.
- Elizabeth made the “Tuna” Salad.
- Janet at The Taste Space (saveur on vegansprout.com) made the Mexican Cabbage and the Cincinnati “Skyline” Chili.
- RecoveryVeggie made Chocolate Chip Cookies, Sweet Potato Homefries, Crunchy Chickpea Tacos.and the African Kale and Yam Soup.
- Shaynamariaroyal made the “Tuna” Salad, Buffalo Ranch Chickpea Salad, “Cheesy” Tomato Toast, Creamy Tahini Quinoa Salad, Adoba Tostadas, Curried Red Lentil Soup, and the Ratatouille,
- Happy Vegan Kitchen made the Chocolate Zucchini Muffins.
- Vegankind made the Tofu Ricotta Cheese and Low-Country Cucumbers.
Everyday Happy Herbivore
- Jenny made the White Bean Gravy.
- Mambo_Witch made the Soft Molasses Cookies.
- Pinto_Beam made the Tempeh Chili Mac and the Grilled Cheese.
Happy Herbivore Abroad
- Amy made the German Lentil Soup.
- Jules made the Queso Dip.
- NutmegNotebook made the Stuffed Acorn Squash.
- Pinto-Bean made the Lentil Loaf.
Happy Herbivore Light and Lean
- Amy made the Blueberry Muffin Oatmeal and the Ruby Chocolate Muffins.
- Elizabeth made the Sheps Pie, Banana Bread Oatmeal, Peanut Soba Noodles, Apple Pie Oatmeal, Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, Chocolate Oatmeal, Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal, Leftovers Pot Pie, and Meatloaf Bites.
- Eve made the Apple Pie Oatmeal, Soba Peanut Noodles, Banana Bread Oatmeal, Oatmeal Pancakes, Butternut Squash Soup, Smashed White Bean Wrap, Peanut Butter Oatmeal, Cherry Vanilla Oatmeal, Thai Crunch Salad, Orange-Scented Oatmeal, Smoky Apple Baked Beans and Classic Cornbread, Asian Orange Kale Salad, and Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal.
- Happy Vegan Kitchen made the Classic Cornbread.
- HealthyGirlsKitchen made the Irish Stew, Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Surprise Frosting, Soba Peanut Noodles, Apple Pie Oatmeal, Blueberry Yogurt Muffins, Cherry Vanilla Oatmeal, Thai Crunch Salad, and the Skinny Mac N’ Cheese.
- Jenny made the Blueberry Yogurt Muffins, Shepherd’s Pie, Harvest Salad, Oatmeal Pancakes, and Chocolate Cake.
- Jenn K made the Classic Cornbread, Shep’s Pie, Tofu Scramble, and the “Cheater” Peanut Butter Muffins.
- Jules made Cheater Pad Thai.
- Kate made the Whole Wheat Drop Biscuits.
- Lauren made the Thai Crunch Salad.
- Liz made the Sonoma “Chicken” Salad and Thai Tacos.
- Shaynamariaroyal made the Blueberry Yogurt Muffins, Hot Chocolate, and Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Recipes from Lindsay’s website
- RecoveryVeggie made the Black Bean Salsa.
December review of our 2013 VegCookbooks
- Kate made the Bean and Corn Tortilla Lasagna with Avocado from Eat Drink and Be Vegan.
So far I’ve made three Happy Herbivore recipes:
1. The Harvest Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Happy Herbivore Light and Lean. I liked this, but it’s a lot for a single serving. I would have liked more dressing, but I know that the small amount of dressing is what keeps it low calorie. I ate half for lunch and half for dinner. It was actually yummier for dinner ’cause all of the goodies fell to the bottom ( :
3. Carrot Soup. What I really like about the Happy Herbivore recipes are that they are simple, quick and use accessible, whole ingredients. This a very simple, quick and nutritious soup that, because of the minimal ingredients, was a bit plain for my tastes. Pretty though!
What have you been VegCooking?