When I finally felt better, and the rain stopped, I was dying for some vegetables, so I made the Mixed Greens with Green Apples, Beets and Pistachios from our November VegCookbook, Vegan Holiday Kitchen. I loved the rainbow of colors and textures in this salad. The green apples, lettuce, cucumbers and pistachios combined with the red/orange beets, dried cranberries and carrots make it a perfect dish for the Christmas section of the cookbook. The only thing I would change is the dressing. The recipe calls for lemon juice and olive oil, but I think it could use a dressing with a bit more pizzazz.
Both years, we had it as a mid-afternoon snack before our big holiday dinner. It’s crazy delicious and super easy to make, especially if you have an immersion blender.
VegCookbook Story Swap
- Veggie Goes Vegan made the Massaged Kale Salad and Pueblo Corn Pie from Vegan Holiday Kitchen.
- Veggie Goes Vegan also made the Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tortilla Casserole from Vegan Holiday Kitchen.
- Seize the Veggies made the Barley and Sweet Potato Pilaf from Forks Over Knives.
- Eatin’ Vegan in Smalltown, USA made the Vegetable White Bean Hash from Forks Over Knives.
- vegankind made the Millet Loaf Balls and Millet Stew from Forks Over Knives.
- vegankind also made the Mean Green Smoothie from Forks Over Knives.
What did you VegCook this week?