We’re onto a new VegCookbook! If you missed it, this month’s VegCookbook is Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I tried two recipes from it last week:
My advice: follow her directions. The recipe said to thoroughly dry the leaves, I didn’t, and it took forever for them to crisp. The recipe said to take out the ones that are already crisp so they don’t burn. I didn’t. They burned (a little). That said, they were very tasty.
I put the recommended nutritional yeast and a little chili powder on them. Next time, I’ll follow the directions!
Garlicky Greens with Pasta
This recipe reminded me of a recipe for Fettucine with Greens and Garlic that I love from a 1997 cookbook, Debra’s Natural Gourmet Cookbook, so I kinda combined the two recipes.
- I used two bunches of red chard, and one bunch of green chard, rather than the recommended broccoli rabe (my grocery store doesn’t carry it), or the mustard or dandelion greens (too spicy for me).
- Instead of 4 cloves of garlic, I used a whole head of garlic.
- When it came time to sauté the garlic, I also added a can of drained and rinsed kidney beans.
- I didn’t include the 1-2 teaspoons of basil leaves ’cause basil is pricey this time of year, and I didn’t have any use for the rest of the basil bunch.
VegCookBook Club Story Swap
Because this week included two different months, folks made dishes from our January VegCookBook, Crazy, Sexy Kitchen, and our February VegCookBook, Color Me Vegan.
Color Me Vegan
- Elisa of Veggie Goes Vegan made Cajun Red Beans and Rice.
- Barbi made Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Pecans, and the Confetti Macaroni Salad. She also made the Kale Chips, and the Yellow Split Pea Soup with Collard Greens and Yams. She’s been cooking from Color Me Vegan for awhile, so she also recommends the Banana Oat Date Cookies, the Sweet Potato Tacos, and the Indian-Style Black Bean and Veggie Burritos.
- Kelley of Eatin’ Vegan in Smalltown USA made the Sweet Potato Tacos.
- Janet of The Taste Space made the Asian-Inspired Edamame Salad.
Crazy, Sexy Kitchen
- Lydia of Vegankind made the Chai Latte, For the Love of Nog!, and the Basic Nut/Seed Milk.
- Brookey of the Crazy Sexy Kitchen Project is cooking her way through *all* of the recipes in Crazy Sexy Kitchen. Last week, she made the Super Easy Vegan Chocolate Pie, Teriyaki Tofu with Wild Mushrooms & Soba Noodles + Bok Choy with Lemon Tahini Sauce, 24 Karrot Cake, and Hearts-of-Palm-Style Crab Cakes with Remoulade.
- Kelley of Eatin’ Vegan in Smalltown USA made Curried Nada-Egg with Watercress Wraps and the Sweet Greens juice.
What did you VegCook this week?