Last week was super busy, so I made all of my VegCookbook Club recipes last night:
Sweet Potato Tacos
These were tasty, but I don’t know that I’ll make them again. I kept wanting them to be mashed up beans. What did excite me about the recipe is that I discovered that yams, or what some people call “sweet potatoes” have protein in them! The Sweet Potato Tacos recipe says that a serving contains 7g of protein. I was curious where it was coming from, so I did a little research. The tortillas I used, La Tortilla Factory Hand Made Style White Corn Tortillas, have 5g of protein in each tortilla. According to the SF Gate article, How Much Protein is in a Cooked Sweet Potato?, a “4-ounce sweet potato provides nearly 2 grams of protein.” Who knew?
Crazy good. I didn’t add the recommended cumin to them, but I did add the suggested tablespoon of agave nectar. I used one bunch of orange carrots, and once bunch of purple and yellow carrots, so they turned out extra pretty (:
Lemony Pan-Fried Chickpeas with Chard
Yum! This wasn’t a particularly complicated recipe, so I can’t put my finger on why they were so good, but they were. Something about how the chick peas were cooked made them extra creamy and delicious. I followed the recipe as written, except for adding two cloves of minced garlic to the sautéing onions at the beginning.
VegCookBook Club Story Swap
- Barbi made the Curried Cauliflower Soup and the Sweet Potato Tacos.
- Debra of Breathelighter made the Tofu (Koyadofu) Teriyaki, Cashew and Red Lentil Burgers, and the Oat Bread. The links are to her Flickr photos. You can read her comments about the recipes here.
- Janet at The Taste Space didn’t cook anything from Color Me Vegan this week, but says that she can recommend the following recipes from past experience: Citrus Kale Salad, Six Shades Of Red Soup, Carrot and Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Asparagus and Carrot Salad with a Miso-Walnut Dressing, Orange Glazed Tempeh, and Winter White Soup.
- Kelley of Eatin’ Vegan in Smalltown USA made Linguine with Purple Cabbage, General Custard’s Cream Pie with Almond Oat Crust, and Kiwi Banana Muffins.
- Lydia of Vegankind made Six Shades of Red Soup.
- Valley Vegan made Indian-Style Black Bean and Veggie Burritos, and Curried Cauliflower Soup.
What did you VegCook this week?