I made two dishes from Meatless last week: the Brown Rice with Black Beans and Avocado and the Shiitake Fried Rice.
Honestly, the Brown Rice with Black Beans and Avocado made me remember why we have canned beans and quick-cooking rice. Holy cow did this dish take forever. The weird thing is that eaten alone, the rice was too salty and the beans didn’t have much flavor, but eaten together with the avocado, tomato, cilantro and red onion, it was very good.
The Shiitake Fried Rice was quite tasty and easy to whip up. If you’re vegan, you could make it without the egg, or replace the egg with marinated tofu. The recipe calls for 4 cups of brown rice, but I didn’t make enough, so I used 3 cups. I think this may have actually made the dish even tastier because there was less rice to dilute all of the other yummy flavors. Adding lime juice to it at the end was brilliant.
VegCookbook Club Story Swap
Because last week was the end of June, and today is the beginning of July, folks cooked from both VegCookbooks:
- Diana of Veggie Next Door made the Chickpea & Roasted Cauliflower Curry.
- Lydia of Vegankind made the Avocado Salad with Bell Pepper and Tomatoes, the Fresh Pea Hummus, and the Chipotle-Avocado Sandwiches.
Eat, Drink and Be Vegan
- Barbee made the Zucchini Spelt Muffins.
- Cinbock made the Lemony Basil Cashew Pesto and the Living Caesar Salad.
- Evesfca made the Curry Chickpea Hummus
- Kelley of Eatin’ Vegan in Smalltown USA made the Simple Swiss Chard.
You can see the recipes that Cinbok and Evesfca tried on Dreena Burton’s website, Plant-Powered Kitchen:
What did you VegCook last week?