Lunch is my least favorite meal. If we lived in a culture where we all went home for a big mid-day meal, then I might like it, but most lunches are sandwiches in baggies, soggy salads, or leftovers in Tupperware. Not my idea of fuel for the middle of the work day, so last week I tried a couple recipes as possible lunch options:
I went a little crazy with the ingredients, so it didn’t all fit in one jar. I actually really liked this and love the construction. You put the dressing and less porous ingredients on the bottom of the jar, so that when you flip it over, the dressing goes all the way through. The inclusion of a sweet potato and garbanzos beans made it pretty filling, although I still had to bring more snacks to eat throughout the day. I made it twice and will make it again.
This was also tasty, but not enough for my lunch appetite. I made it twice and the second time I brought it to work with Lindsay’s Fave Salad in a Jar, which filled me up.
After all that healthiness, it was time for a treat! I was too lazy to blend the ingredients in a blender (as suggested), so I just melted them in a pot and used my IKEA milk frother to blend them together right in the pot. I’ll make this again too.
VegCookbook Club Story Swap
- Amy made the Red Lentil Dal and Mock Tuna.
- Catherine made the Vegetable Pad Thai and Red Lentil Dal.
- Elizabeth made the Seitan Pot Roast with Brown Gravy and the Smoky Bean Wrap.
- Kelley of Eatin’ Vegan in Smalltown made the Chili sans Carne, Cornbread and the “Tuna” Salad.
- Healthy Girls Kitchen made the Cheater Pad Thai, Tempeh Bacon, and the BLT.
- Lydia made the Single-Serving Brownie.
- Shayna Marie Royal made the Chocolate Chip Muffins.
- Catherine made the “Tuna” Salad and the Tofu Scramble.
Everyday Happy Herbivore
- Kelley of Eatin’ Vegan in Smalltown made the Rainbow Greens.
- Tina made the Morning Glory Muffins.
- Pinto_Bean made the Chocolate Spice Muffins and the Beer Bread.
Happy Herbivore Abroad
- Amy made the Cassoulet.
- Janet at The Taste Space (saveur on vegansprout.com) made the Migas and Spicy Mustard Chickpeas.
- Jenny made the Edamame.
- Kate made the Sunshine Muffins.
Happy Herbivore Light and Lean
- Bonnie made the Thai Crunch Salad and the Chocolate Chip Cookie.
- Elizabeth made the Cherry Vanilla Oatmeal, Garden Chili with Cornbread, Blueberry Muffin Oatmeal, and the Bankok Curry.
- Eve made the Raspberry Creme Oatmeal and the Shep’s Pie.
- Happy Vegan Kitchen made the Zucchini “Mozzarella” Sticks and the Tofu Ice Cream.
- Healthy Girls Kitchen made the Nacho Bowl, Quick Nacho Sauce and the Chocolate Chocolate Oatmeal.
- Jenn made the Bankok Curry, Irish Stew, Thai Green Curry, and the Skinny Cupcake.
- Jenny made the Skinny Mac N’ Cheese and the Meatloaf Bites.
- Liz made the Yellow Curry Dal, Tempeh Bacon, BLT, Meatloaf Bites with Quick Gravy, and the “Cheater” Peanut Butter Muffins.
- MuseGal made the Breakfast Tacos.
- Tabby made the Chocolate Cake.
- Tami made the Chocolate Chocolate Oatmeal.
- Vegan Homemaker made the Thai Crunch Salad.
Happy Herbivore Meal Plans, blog and/or website
- Healthy Girls Kitchen made the Vegan Mayo.
- Jenny made the Chickpea Teriyaki.
- Shayna Marie Royal made the Skinny Puttanesca, Quick Burgers and Carrot Fries.
What did you VegCook last week?
P.S. We got a nice shout out in the Omar Niode Foundation blog post, Let’s join Online Food Book Clubs.