Sorry it’s been so long since I did a round-up/VegCookbook Club Story Swap. I think I’ve mentioned that I have a new, almost full-time job, and I’m having trouble finding time to blog here regularly.
Plus, y’all been cooking up a storm. It’s hard to keep up! Over the three weeks, 25 of us have made and shared almost 120 recipes from our January and February VegCookbooks!
Just out of curiosity, how useful/interesting are the VegCookbook Club Story Swaps to you? Should I continue them, or do you follow along with people’s VegCooking on your own?
Since I last posted a round-up a few weeks ago, I’ve made a bunch of stuff from The Vegan Table by our February VegCookbook author, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau:
I made the Three-Bean Chili last weekend for the Super Bowl. Very yummy and so colorful. I didn’t include the suggested cayenne powder ’cause I’m a spiciness wimp. I’ll definitely make this again.
This is the second time I’ve made the Warm Spinach Salad, but this time I used 3/4 of a cup of balsamic vinegar rather than the suggested 1 cup because my notes said, “Good, but less vinegar, or more oil.” It was just as good the second time, but still too vinegar-y. I’ll use even less vinegar next time.
I also made the Garlic and Greens Soup last night. It’s raining like crazy this weekend in the Bay Area, and lots of people at work have been sick, so it seemed like a good time to eat a head of garlic. The soup has a surprising sweetness that I really like, but it’s not very filling. If I make it again, I will add white beans, so that it can more of an entree soup.
Last weekend I also made the Penne Pasta with Fresh Vegetables, which was delicious, but it doesn’t make great leftovers. Because the vegetables are fresh, they get increasingly soggy and limp with each day. I would only make this again if I knew it could all be eaten the day it was made. I would also sauté the Field Roast Sausages in a separate pan before I added them to the the dish to give them some crispiness.
Last month, I tried two more recipes from Happy Herbivore Light and Lean by our January VegCookbook author, Lindsay Nixon. I liked Scott’s Burrito fine, but decided that I prefer for my burritos to be a little warm.
The last thing I made from Happy Herbivore Light and Lean was the Kale Chips. I made a mistake that I’ve done before when making kale chips: I wash the kale and then put it in the oven without drying it off first. Don’t do it! It take for-ev-ah for them to crisp.
VegCookbook Club Story Swap
February: The VegCookbooks of Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
Color Me Vegan
- Amy made the Citrus Salad with Kale.
- Barbee Lin made the Cajun Beans and Rice .
- Diana of Veggie Next Door made the Cornmeal Blueberry Porridge.
The Joy of Vegan Baking
- Amy made the Chocolate Mousse.
- Happy Vegan Kitchen made the Pancakes and a vanilla layer cake from the Vanilla Cupcake recipe, and the Banana Crumble.
- Jenn made the Light Lemon Bundt Cake and the Pancakes.
- Kate made the Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Muffins.
The Vegan Table
- Catherine made the Tofu Spinach Lasagna and the Tempeh Eggplant Pot Pie.
- Elizabeth made the Tofu Spinach Lasagna.
- Eve made the Cuban Black Bean Soup, Pasta Salad with Veggies, Pine Nuts and Fresh Herbs, and the Arugula and Basil Bruschetta,
- Jenn made the Tofu Spinach Lasagna, Frozen Mango Lassi, Chana Masala, and the Aloo Gobi.
- Kate made the Garlic and Greens Soup.
- Musegal007 made the Scotch Broth.
- Pinto Bean made the Chocolate Cupcakes.
Vegan’s Daily Companion
- Amy made Ginger-Tahini Soup, Buckwheat Soba Noodle Bowl with Sesame Salad Dressing, Lentil Bolognese, Sesame Salad Dressing (and a third time).
January: The VegCookbooks of Lindsay Nixon
- Amy made the Cheater Pad Thai.
- Catherine made the Black Bean Brownies and the Buddha’s Delight, and the Hippie Loaf.
- Courtney made Irish Champ, Meatloaf Bites, Quick Gravy, Cornbread and Spinach from multiple Happy Herbivore VegCookbooks + the Tofu Scramble.
- Diana of Veggie Next Door made the “Tuna” Salad, Chickpea Taco Filling which she put in a burrito and a salad, Mexican Cabbage and the Bankok Curry.
- Happy Vegan Kitchen made the Sweet Potato Ice Cream.
- Jana made the Cajun Chickpea Cakes.
- Jenny made the Single Serving Chocolate Chip Muffin.
- Jessica of Destination Santé made the Banana Bread and the Tomato Soup with Spaghetti Squash.
- Kate made the Aztec Corn Soup, and the Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- Kelley of Eatin’ Vegan in Smalltown USA made the Dirty Mashed Potatoes and Dijon-Herb Green Beans, Pancakes and Blueberry Sauce, the Spicy Greens and Cajun Fries, Broccoli Pesto Pasta, and the Mexican Chorizo.
- Kelli made the Caribbean Bowl.
- Musegal007 made the Omelet which she made into a Nomelet to go!
- Shayna made the Chorizo, Tofu Scramble, and Meatless Meatballs.
Everyday Happy Herbivore
- Amy made the Eggless Salad.
- Jana made the Red-Red Stew and Fried Bananas, and the Greens Quiche.
- Janet at The Taste Space (saveur on vegansprout.com) made the Dijon Rice with Broccoli.
- Jenny made the Kidney-Quinoa Burgers.
- Kelley of Eatin’ Vegan in Smalltown USA made the “Crab” Cakes and Remoulade, the Broccoli & Red Pepper Stir-Fry, the Gobi Palak, the Veggie Lo Mein, the Garlicky Spinach, and the Gingered Collard Greens,
- Musegal007 made the Deity Dressing.
Happy Herbivore Abroad
Happy Herbivore Light and Lean
- Amy made the Shep’s Pie.
- Diana of Veggie Next Door made the Easy Mashed Potatoes, and Shep’s Pie.
- Elizabeth made the Meatloaf Bites, Banana Ice Cream, Leftover Pot Pie, and the Soba Noodles.
- Eve made the Garden Chili, the Chocolate Cake, and the Chocolate Chip Scones.
- Jenn made the Pumpkin Pancakes, the Pumpkin Curry, Leftover Potpie, and the Chocolate Cake.
- Jenny made the Pumpkin Chili
- Jules made the Thai Green Curry.
- Kelli made the Caribbean Chili.
- Lauren made the Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal.
- Liz made the Chickpea Tenders, Oatmeal 300, Quinoa Curry Cakes, the Oatmeal 300 Banana Bread version, Oatmeal 300 Cinnamon Raisin version, Smoky Apple Baked Beans, the Pesto Burger, the Oatmeal 300 Blueberry Muffin Addition, Cheater Ancient Bowl, and the Chocolate Chip Muffins.
- Lydia of vegankind made the Tofu Ricotta Cheese, Low-Country Cucumbers, Single-Serving Brownie, Quick Queso Sauce and Baked Onion Rings.
- Musegal007 made the Cheater Peanut Butter Muffins, the Golden Dressing, and the Soba Peanut Noodles.
- Shannon of Banana Boats and Cabbage Patches made the Pad Thai Sauce.
- Shayna made the Tofu Scramble, and the Chocolate Chip Cookies.
What have you been VegCooking?