My senior year of college, I lived with four other women in a house with a kitchen (previously I’d lived in the dorm and eaten at the campus cafeteria). Sunday-Thursday, each of us would cook one dinner. Two of the women were vegetarians, and I was somewhat veggie, so most of our joint dinners were vegetarian. We cooked a lot from The New Basics Cookbook, The (original) Moosewood Cookbook, and The (original) Enchanted Broccoli Forest.
I think we ate the Pesto and Marinated Tomato Sauce from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest at least twice a month, if not more, so I’m rather sentimental about these recipes ( :
When I made them this month, they were just as tasty as they were 25 years ago, especially at this time of year, when tomatoes and basil are in season.
The Pesto recipe was the first homemade pesto I’d ever made (it was the early 90’s and pesto was just becoming popular in the United States). I’ve made the Marinated Tomato Sauce more times than I can count. I’ve never met anyone who didn’t like this recipe, so it’s the perfect vegetarian dish to bring to potlucks and have at parties. Plus, it’s crazy simple to make and double.
You could veganize the Marinated Tomato Sauce recipe by replacing the mozzarella with vegan mozzarella, or tofu, and veganize the Pesto recipe by replacing the parmesan cheese with vegan parm, or nutritional yeast (although, you might need to change the proportions for the pesto because vegan parm and nutritional yeast are such different textures than parmesan cheese).
VegCookbook Club Story Swap:
Mollie Katzen’s VegCookbooks
- Charlie made the Spicy Tomato Soup.
- Christy made the Cranberry Rice.
- Elizabeth Thompson made the Pasta Fresca.
- Diana of Veggie Next Door made the California Waldorf Salad, and Eggless Egg Salad.
- Kate made the Peach-Cherry Crisp.
- Lydia of Vegankind made the Asparagus Salad with Roasted Red Peppers and Chickpeas.
More Quick-Fix Vegan (our May VegCookbook)
- Cintia made the Figgy Quinoa Pilaf.
- Diana of Veggie Next Door made the Smoky Tofu Wraps, and Chickpea Nicoise.
- Eve made the Linguine with White Clam-ish Sauce and Hummus Soup with Pita Croutons.
- Janet at the taste space (saveur on vegansprout) made the Lemony Chickpea-Spinach Soup and the Spicy Ginger Tempeh and Bok Choy.
- Jokevanoo made the Lemon Pesto Zucchini and White Beans and the Rasta Pasta.
What have you been VegCooking?